Thursday, December 9, 2010

The Transfer

I have been transferred as associate pastor from the Chigodi congregation to the Limbe congregation. Sunday was my first time with the congregation as their associate. I have preached there a number of times with the Partnership but this is different. This is as a pastor for the congregation, not as a guest preacher. The welcome was warm and encouraging. And I clearly recognized the difference between a city congregation and a village congregation.

The pastor, Rev. Rodney Bona, had told me that we were having just one service instead of the usual two. The service was to begin at 7:30 a.m. and would be primarily in Chichewa. I wanted to be prompt, so I arrived shortly after 7 a.m. to find the parking lot nearly full. As I got out of the car, I heard congregational singing. My heart sank. Had I misunderstood and was I late for my first service with a new congregation? I quietly made my way to a side entrance, to slip in as unnoticed as possible. As I entered the sanctuary, I breathed a sigh of relief. The service in progress was a wedding. It had begun at 6 a.m. to be finished in time for the Sunday service. The pastor was just pronouncing the benediction. I wasn’t late but I had a graphic example of the intense schedule of a city church where services have to be placed at all times to accommodate the needs of the congregation.

After the wedding party had recessed, the elders gathered in the pastor’s office and quickly set the order of worship in place, assigning parts easily. I was to give the opening prayer. During the announcements, I would be introduced to the church and give greetings. Those were my only responsibilities. The pastor had come and gone. He would slip in to the service once it had begun. His home is on the church grounds and he went home to freshen up after the wedding. This is Malawi and even a 6 a.m. wedding is hot when one is fully robed.

The order of service is the same in every CCAP church, but the flavor is different because of the personalities of the congregations. Limbe is a large and generally well educated congregation. The parking lot overflows with newer model cars. The church has tiled flooring throughout the sanctuary. The sound system is controlled for a sound booth near the chancel. The elders come dressed in fresh suits or stylish dresses. The choirs all have their recorded accompaniments. The service begins promptly at the designated time. There is a formality that does not exist in a village church. But there are a few things that remain the same. Men still sit together on one side of the church and women on the other. The small children still wander up and down the aisles, going between their parents. Sunday school is conducted concurrent with the worship service so their singing can be heard during the service. The Spirit is evident in the praise songs and joy of the worship time.

As I worshipped with the congregation, I felt comfortable and welcomed. I anticipate a good time of learning and growing in faith together in the months ahead. Transfers are good. They are part of the life of a minister but more than that, they are part of God's plan for our growth and good.

No comments:

Post a Comment