Friday, March 18, 2011

Road Tested

When an automobile is serviced, the last thing the mechanic does, before returning the auto to the owner, is to road test it to be certain that everything is functioning properly. That is the analogy the senior pastor used on Sunday at the first service of the Limbe congregation, where I was to preach. He proclaimed my return a “road test” by the Master Mechanic, Jesus, who had been the doctor and healer for my recovery. Everyone had a good laugh and the service commenced.

I danced (a most acceptable behavior in a worship service here as we dance with the singing of the praise songs and choruses that are presented) with the congregation as we sang praises to the God who heals and strengthens, who empowers and graces us. I led in prayer and then preached. After the offering, the senior pastor declared the “road test” a success and announced to the congregation that I was fit to return to full service. Again there was great laughter, but this time accompanied by applause and a few cheers. The congregation rejoiced with me at God’s great healing and restoration. At that point, I wanted to sing the doxology again, not for the financial offering, but for God’s offering of grace to me in this recovery. He is truly the one who is worthy to be praised. He is the only one to deserve praise for who he is and for what he has done.

As if the morning service were not enough of a road test, I was scheduled to preach at the 5 p.m. service at St. Michael’s, here at the Synod. So after a rest and finishing touches on the second sermon for the day, I walked the quarter of a mile to the Cathedral and led the vespers service. This is one of my favorite services for pure worship. That is because it is an informal service with contemporary praise music in English, songs that I have known from the States. This is one of those rare opportunities for the pastor to worship, not just lead worship. (Those who are pastors will understand this.) So, even though I was further “road testing,” I was also worshipping. The result was a great peace and strength that I can only praise God for. It was a wonderful time of worship, for me. I can’t evaluate the preaching objectively, but I can the praise. God was present in a wonderful way.

So it is with great delight that the “road tested one” has been released and is back to work with a strong hip and a refreshed spirit. Hopefully there will not need to be any further tuning or repairs for a good long time.

No comments:

Post a Comment