Thursday, June 21, 2012

Day's Inn Malawi

Hospitality is part of life in Malawi and it is a big part of my home, since I help to coordinate the schedules of visitors to Blantyre Synod, especially international visitors. That is one of the reasons that I have a four bedroom house. It functions more like an inn than a house – Day’s Inn Malawi. That is the name some of my friends have given it Sometimes it fits, like now.

About two months ago, we made arrangements with the Synod of Zambia to host their Women’s Desk Coordination, Rose Haraba, and provide training for her. I worked with our Women’s Desk Coordinator on the details, but the one question was where would she stay? With me, of course. I have the room. She arrived June 4 to stay for three weeks of training. In the meantime, my Australian friends ran into a snag. Grace Bandawe, where they always stay, had been overbooked so we needed to find accommodations for some of them. John and Sue, expats here from Australia, could take three and I could take three, as long as two were married and could share a room. I knew there were two married couples on the trip, so that would work. It was all arranged. They arrived June 13 and that gave me a full house. While Rose here by herself, Thomas came down for a few days and filled one of the spare rooms. They had a great time together (Chikwawa Shopping). He knew the schedule and left shortly before the Aussies arrived.


Day's Inn Malawi

The Aussies have an ambitious schedule and are out in the rural areas of the Synod for parts of each week. The three who are staying with me are among those who travel. Diane is working at Chigodi Monday through Thursday and is staying there during that time. Her husband Doug and his building partner Steve are out at work sites Monday through Friday. This week they are staying at the sites. I thought that would leave Rose and me alone this week, but on Monday afternoon Rev. Bessie Liwonde, one of my former students who has adopted me as a mom, arrived with the announcement that she would be staying through Friday while she attends a conference here in Blantyre. I knew Steve’s room would be empty, so we quickly rearranged a few things and changed the bedding. She will leave Friday morning. We will change the bed and prepare the room for Steve’s return, like any good inn would do. But Day’s Inn is more like a Bed and Breakfast, as folks get a night’s sleep, a hardy breakfast and are off for the day’s activities. Evening dinners may be for those who are staying here or for them and a number more. Friday of this week the Aussie team, Rose and whoever else is around will be here for dinner. I’m counting on at least 16 at this point. Reservations are not required.

This is not unusual. This is the norm for the busy season of visitors. I jokingly call this “Alendo Season.”  (Alendo means visitor.) Last year I had a period of four months in which I had just two days when I did not have overnight guests. It makes life interesting. I get to know so many wonderful people that I would not have the opportunity to know otherwise, from all over the world. In the next few weeks, before I leave for the States, there are folks coming from Korea, Ireland and the US to add to my Zambian and Australian friends. Then my Malawian family and friends come and go as well. It is a delight to have an open house and help people feel part of the Warm Heart of Africa. But the truth is that I am not doing anything unusual. This is Malawian hospitality. It would be unthinkable to not welcome folks and make room for them in your life. A Malawian proverb says that a house is blessed if it has visitors. Mine is greatly blessed

No comments:

Post a Comment