Monday, September 23, 2013

The Cookie Monster


Omega
This sweet face is the face of a cookie monster. He lives next door to me and is the youngest son of my colleague Faith Katarai, who teaches Systematic Theology at PIASS. The cookie monster’s name is Omega, as in the last letter of the Greek alphabet and the last of the Kataraia’s children. (Their first and only other is Alpha – the first letter of the Greek alphabet.) Omega is 4 ½ and, as you can see is as cute as a button, with a sweet tooth that does not quit.

My kitchen faces the Kataraia’s yard, where the children play. When I am baking, if the window is open and the children are our, they can smell the baking. I usually bake on Saturdays, so chances are great that the children are playing in the yard. I can usually estimate the time between taking the cookies out of the oven and a knock on my gate to be about 15 minutes. They have learned to give time for the cookies to cool. Omega never comes by himself. He is sharp enough to bring his older brother, who speaks English beautifully, to plea for him. He just stands with that angelic smile and waits for me to bag the cookies for them. They know they will get some. I think that they have easily figured out that I bake as much for them as I do for the other guests who drop in with great regularity on Saturdays or Sundays. He also knows that I make plenty of cookies, so I can expect a knock on the gate of Sunday afternoon, too. By then, he has devoured the cookies gathered on Saturday and comes to replenish his supply, while they last.

To be honest, this is all my fault. When Faith found out that the boys were coming for cookies, she tried to stop them, but I interceded. The truth is that their coming is the closest thing I have to my grandchildren coming to visit and I enjoy their visits because I so miss my grandchildren. A grandmother needs someone to spoil and if it can’t be her own grandchildren, it might as well be someone else’s. Thank heaven that Faith has understood that and lets them come. Since their grandparents are in Tanzania, I am a good substitute for them, too. It all works out.

No comments:

Post a Comment