Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Too Long

It has been too long since I have written. I am sorry for that. The time gets away from me, and to be honest, there are times I am too tired of looking at words to want to write any myself. I have been occupied with grading papers and editing manuscripts, on various levels. I have taught two beginners classes of English, and taught three sections of Introduction to Academic Writing in the last two months. All of this involves grading writing. For some of my students, it is a great challenge to express themselves in English, their third or, in some cases, their fourth language. They struggle with verb forms and verb tenses (difficult for many native English speakers), and with the use of articles and the placement of adjectives, things we native speakers take for granted. It takes time and care to correct these things so the students can learn how to use them properly. In addition, I have edited four bachelor level thesis, two master’s thesis and one PhD dissertation. The shortest of these was 53 pages, the longest was 238. There is always a deadline. I have been swamped in words and at the end of the day am content to listen to music or watch a movie, but not write.


This is not “exciting” work – like traveling to remote villages to see the rebuilding of homes or visiting orphan feeding program. It does not produce great stories, but it is important work. I am not complaining at all. I am enjoying what I am doing. I am the only native English speaker on the campus. There are others who have traveled to and lived in the US or the UK, but English is not their first language. As “the only one,” this gives me an opportunity and presents me with a responsibility since so many want to master English. As I help students and colleagues master English, I give them a better opportunity to communicate in a fast-changing world. In the process of editing, I’m learning about micro-finance opportunities, about conflict resolution within families, about peace building, about changes in Rwandan church governance, about Muslim-Christian conflicts in Africa, and the list goes on. My students can express God’s working for themselves. I am enjoying all that I am doing as a partner with them, but it keeps me busy. So if you do not hear from me as often, please don’t worry. I’m just immersed in others’ words.

No comments:

Post a Comment