Monday, June 2, 2014

Monkey Business

Sweet face at Nyungwe
Another Nyungwe variety
Rwanda is known for its primates. First are the gorillas. They are found mostly in the north and are carefully protected. It costs dearly to go and see them, ($350 a day for foreign residents and $750 for visitors). This ensures their protection. It is more affordable to visit the smaller primates in Nyungwe Forest. That is only $60 for an hour hike. If you are driving through the forest, you may be treated to a glimpse of one, as I was several weeks ago when I went with some friends. There are reports of some on the other side of Butare, near the National University, but I have never seen them.

Monkey on my fence

I have had neighbors’ cats in my fenced yard, a squirrel with a bent tail and even a stray dog who had her puppies in my bamboo grove, but the other day, I had a monkey parade through my yard, bold as you please. I was sitting in my living room reading shortly after noon when out of the corner of my eye, I caught a movement in the yard. I looked up and at first I thought it was a dog. It was about 2 feet high, on all four paws, sniffing at my roses. But when I looked more closely, I recognized it was a monkey inspecting my flowers. He ambled around the shrubs and adeptly climbed the brick pillar that holds my gate and seated himself atop the pillar to survey the landscape. I ran for my camera, hoping he would stay long enough for me to snap a photo. I couldn’t get his face, but I did get a shot of him sitting on the pillar. Then as quickly as I snapped the photo, he hopped down the other side of the pillar, onto the walkway between my house and the campus. I went to the gate to see where he was headed, but by the time I got it open, he was nowhere in sight. One of my students was just approaching my gate and asked if I had lost my monkey. She said he scampered in front of her and over the wall onto the campus. We both had a good laugh. One of the joys of living in Africa is the variety of wildlife with whom we share space

No comments:

Post a Comment